|Officer Michael Jaworski |
School Resource Officer
Niles North High School
District 219, in partnership with the Skokie Police Department, has established a School Resource Officer (SRO) program at Niles North High School. The SRO fulfills three roles: law enforcement officer, law-related counselor, and law-related presenter.
- As a law enforcement officer, the primary purpose is to “keep the peace.”
- As a law-related counselor, the officer provides resource guidance to students, parents, teachers, staff, and links to support services both inside and outside the high school.
- As a law-related presenter, the officer will share special law enforcement expertise by presentations to students, parents, teachers, and staff.
- Furthermore, the SRO also serves as a positive role model for the students during school hours and off-campus at extracurricular activities.
THE GOAL OF THE SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICER
- Maintain a safe, secure and orderly learning environment for all students, teachers and staff.
- Establish a trusting channel of communication with the students, parents and staff.
- Serve as a positive role model to instill in students good moral standards, good judgment and discretion, respect for all, and a concern for the school community.
- Promote awareness of the law to enable students to become informed and effective citizens. Empower them with the knowledge of law enforcement efforts and obligations regarding enforcement of the law, as well as consequences for violations of the law.
- Provide confidential counseling for students and parents for problems they face and inform them about community resources available to them.