High School District 219
Read through the following section to become acquainted with the goals and expectations for your freshman year at Niles North. The following list is not exhaustive; it serves as a general guide to assist you. The guidance counselors recommend you read the following suggestions and participate in the groups and informative workshops planned throughout the year.
Your Freshman Year
#1 Goal: A smooth transition to high school and building a solid foundation
- Settle into the routine of high school.
- Use your student handbook to keep assignments and homework organized.
- Attend homeroom consistently to stay informed.
- Develop effective study habits.
- Seek out your teacher for help.
- Familiarize yourself with The POINT an academic resource that provides quality tutoring from peers and teachers.
- Regularly monitor your grades though PIV, because your freshmen grades do count. If you need your PIV login information, see your counselor.
- Meet with your counselor in small groups to discuss transition to high school and other relevant topics.
- Commit to volunteer projects.
- Get involved in extracurricular activities through the Student Activities Office.
- Initiate a 4-year course plan with your guidance counselor.
- Check your school email on a regular basis.
- Become familiar with your College Resource Center and Naviance.
- Take time to identify your interests and strengths to help formulate a plan for after high school.
- Have at least one serious talk with your parents about your future, your plans, and expectations they might have for you.
- Understand your netbook by visiting the Tech Department